SAFE and EFFECTIVE surgical abortion care up to 14 weeks
Advantages of Abortion
- Abortion is completed by a physician in one day
- Surgical procedure itself takes approximately 3-5 minutes.
- You will be monitored by our experienced staff through the entire process and recovery period.
- Local anesthesia is used to manage any discomfort during the procedure.
- Effectiveness is over 99%
- Over-the-counter pain relievers can be used for any discomfort after the procedure.
- Surgical abortion is one of the safest surgical procedures performed
Disadvantages of Abortion
- All surgical procedures carry a risk of complications.
- Must be monitored in the office for one hour after the procedure is completed.
- The procedure, like all surgery, is invasive and can be painful.
- Bleeding and cramping may last for about one week.
- Requires a follow-up appointment 3 weeks after the procedure.
What you need to know
When you schedule your appointment, please inform our telephone counselor of any medical problems and/or medications you take on a regular basis.
- 24-Hour Consent is NOT required in the State of NJ
- Parental Consent is NOT required in the State of NJ
- Do not eat or drink after midnight, before your scheduled appointment
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing, and flat shoes/sneakers
- Bring or wear socks
- Bring a sanitary napkin/pad
- Do not bring children
- Your visit at the center will last approximately 2 – 2 ½ hours
What to Expect
- Upon arrival at the clinic, you will complete a PATIENT RECORD. To save time, complete this form in the privacy of your home and bring to your appointment.
- We will perform some basic lab work to determine the Rh factor of your blood type.
- You will meet the doctor before the abortion when he does the ultrasound exam to determine how long you have been pregnant.
- Take this opportunity to ask questions about the abortion procedure. Doctor will spend as much time as you need to answer your questions.
- A counselor will talk with you privately to explain the procedure, what to expect after you leave and future birth control. This counseling is done on an individual basis, not in a group, so that you are free to discuss any concerns or issues relating to the abortion.
- Local anesthesia will be given.
- A female medical assistant will be monitoring and comforting you during the procedure.
- The uterus is emptied using gentle aspiration or suction and you may experience some cramping similar to strong menstrual cramps.
- The entire abortion procedure only takes a few minutes and most women are very surprised at how quick it is.
- After the abortion, you will rest in a private recovery area. You will be the only patient in this area and we will monitor you to be sure you are comfortable.
- For the remainder of the day, we suggest that you rest. Most women are able to return to daily activities the following day. There are some restrictions on strenuous activities, such as, heavy lifting and you will receive detailed instructions on aftercare. Please be sure to read these carefully and call if you have any questions or concerns.
- Return in 3 weeks for a follow-up examination to be sure that your body is completely healed.
In order to reduce the amount of time spent at your appointment, please print, fill out and bring with you the PATIENT RECORD.
Abortion fees are due when services are rendered. Please call the office most convenient to you, to confirm the fees.
Abortion services vary by number of weeks pregnant, office location and procedure. Surgical procedures in the first trimester cost between $380 and $480. Fees include the cost of all services associated with the abortion procedure including, ultrasound, blood work, counseling, examination, and the abortion procedure.
ACCEPTABLE FORMS OF PAYMENT
Cash. No personal checks.
If you are interested in using insurance or medical assistance, please provide our office with your insurance information at least 24 hours before your scheduled appointment so we can verify coverage before your visit. Insurance is accepted for abortion services with prior verification.
Learn about our Women’s Services that we offer in our private offices in Plainfield and Howell, New Jersey.